Sliced Potatoes in air fryer are the new way to enjoy this potato side dish recipe. Using minimal ingredients and an incredibly easy cooking process, you can make delicious sliced potatoes in under 15 minutes. With just a little oil you get a perfectly crisp exterior with fluffy potato inside.
We love making heart-shaped potatoes that our grandchildren absolutely love to eat! It's totally optional but does add bonus points for presentation. Serve them on your next Date night or Valentine's day.
Why You'll Love These Air Fryer Potatoes
- Easy and quick. With just a few simple ingredients, 15 minutes, and your trusty air fryer, you'll have a plate of perfectly cooked sliced potatoes that are sure to become a staple in your mealtime routine.
- Irresistible flavor and texture. These potato slices are crispy on the outside and fluffy tender on the inside. Cut them into your desired shape, wedges, or larger cubes.
- Healthy. Air fryer is healthier than deep frying or cooking potatoes in a skillet. You only need a little oil and seasoning. These potatoes are gluten free, non dairy and can still be enjoyed on a low-carb diet if consumed in moderation.
- Best Potatoes - Idaho or Russet potatoes (higher in starch and crisp up nicely) or Yukon Gold potatoes (medium starch, creamy, all-purpose potatoes). Or Fingerling potatoes will work too. You don’t need to peel the potato skin, this adds a nice extra crunch. These are slices and not potato chips, so don't cut them too thin. Waxy potatoes like red potatoes will work too but you'll have to air fryer them for longer.
- Seasonings and spices - I think potatoes are delicious with quite a minimal seasoning but feel free to elevate the flavor with cayenne pepper, cajun, seasoned salts, and fresh or dried herbs.
- Olive oil - even though you can make food in an air fryer with absolutely no oil, I still recommend using some. The oil helps the spices stick to the potatoes and crisps them while cooking. I like extra virgin olive oil mixed with seasoning for coating the potatoes. You could also use avocado oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, or even unscented coconut oil. Add more if needed.
For the full list of ingredients, please scroll down to where you'll find the recipe card.
Cut the potatoes lengthwise about ¼ inches thick slices. Not very thin.
Optional step: With a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out potato hearts. I used a 2-inch cookie heart.
Place potatoes in a large bowl and toss in seasonings. Add olive oil and combine.
Spray the air-fryer basket lightly with oil before adding the seasoned potato slices.
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit according to manufacturer instructions. Mine was about 5 minutes: Cosori 5.8 quart.
You could also use something like a Ninja Foodi with built-in air fryer function)
I use my Cosori for anything from reheating food, baking, and making dinners that take only half the time.
Place the potatoes in the basket in a single layer leaving enough space between each potato. Don't overcrowd the basket and cook in multiple batches.
Air fry potatoes at 375 F for 10-11 minutes, turning the potatoes halfway through.
Once the potato slices develop golden brown edges - they are done. Transfer these to a plate with paper towels to remove the excess moisture.
Serve as an appetizer with dipping sauces, as a side dish or for breakfast instead of hash browns.
✅ EXPERT TIP: To ensure you get crispy potatoes, you can take an extra step and soak the raw cut potatoes in cold water before patting them dry with a paper towel to season and air fry. But this is not essential with air fryer.
- Russet or Idaho potatoes are best here but you can use any all-purpose potato here. Red potatoes will work too but these will require additional air frying time to have crispy skin and fluffy insides. Sweet potatoes are delicious this way but I recommend slicing them thick or similar and then cooking for a little shorter as they tend to become softer than regular potatoes.
- You can use as little as 1 tablespoon of oil. I find the fries slightly crispier and flavorful when using more oil but you can get away with less thanks to the air fryer. These work even better for a fluffy mash or sweet potato pie.
- ''Fried'' food generally doesn't reheat well. But with an air fryer, you can reheat them once or twice more once they go cold. Reheat in a preheated air fryer at 375 degrees F for 3-5 minutes.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. Keep those slices separate to ensure even cooking and a crispy exterior.
- I didn't soak the potatoes but it may help to draw out the excess starch for more crisp results. However, I find that it is not that essential, especially when using an air fryer. Soak the fries in cold water for at least 20-25 minutes to 1 hour.
- Shake the basket halfway through to help the potatoes crisp up nicely.
- It’s good to season potatoes with salt before frying them, but you should also season them (preferably sea salt flakes - better natural taste than regular salt) after frying, as this will help the potatoes to soak up even more flavor.
- If you do multiple batches, keep the cooked potatoes warm in the oven while you work with the remaining batches.
- Use your favorite toppings: A lovely topping idea for these potatoes is shredded cheese. Use about ¾ cups of cheese, such as parmesan cheese, and top the soft potatoes just before baking for the second time.
- Bake in batches. Make sure to spread out the sliced potatoes with sufficient room between them in the air fryer basket. This will ensure that each potato achieves an ultra-crispy exterior while soft inside of the potato.
- The thinner you cut potato slices, the more they'll develop crispy texture. Watch the baking time as thinner ones will burn very fast.
- Olive oil spray (cooking spray) is a great way to coat any size of your air fryer basket so that the air-fried potatoes don’t stick to the basket during the cooking time.
- Customize it! We like to use mostly fresh herbs: fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme, parsley, cilantro, and basil.
- Seasonings and aromatics, fresh garlic cloves, garlic and onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sweet paprika, all-purpose seasoning, seasoned salt.
- If you have leftover potatoes, use them to make this loaded potato soup.
While traditional fried food doesn’t reheat well, you can salvage leftover fried food by reheating it in an air fryer the same day once the food has become cold.
If possible, make as much as you'd consume or keep the potato slices submerged in cold water in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- 🍱To Store. Store cooked and cooled leftover potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- 🥶Freezing. I recommend using the same air fryer and reheating potatoes just once or twice for about 3-4 minutes at 375 F, the same temperature used for cooking. I don't recommend microwaving as the potatoes will lose their crisp exterior and become soggy.
- 🔥To Reheat. I don't recommend cutting the potatoes too long in advance. But you can definitely slice them in the morning and keep them submerged in cold water until evening or the next morning.
Air fryer potato slices are the perfect side dish to your favorite main dish or as a choice of finger foods at parties and family gatherings.
Once they are getting cold you can quickly pop them back into the air fryer and reheat them once or twice. The only downside to serving these for a crowd is cooking them in smaller batches unless you using something like a French door or large family air fryer.
Potato dishes go with almost anything. We love to serve this side dish with our favorite main courses.
- Grilled or roasted chicken, Ribs or BBQ meats, steak, pulled beef, chicken or pork.
- hot dogs
- Seafood: fish tacos, garlic butter shrimp, salmon.
- Burgers & wraps
- For breakfast with eggs, hashbrowns, beans and toast.
- Salads: chicken salad, coleslaw, cucumber dill salad.
- Soups and stews: butternut squash soup, lazy cabbage rolls, tuscan soup.
For simple seasonings use a combination of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and a mix of dried herbs (Herbs de Provence, Italian seasoning).
Or try more ideas and flavor combinations:
- Cajun seasoning, Chili Powder, Cayenne, Chipotle for added heat
- Taco Seasoning
- Celery salt or other seasoned salts.
- Fresh dried herbs
- Make it Cheesy - add your favorite grated melty cheese (Mozzarella, Cheddar as well as Parmesan cheese). Add it towards the end of cooking so it has time to melt. I prefer very finely grated Parmesan cheese. For a veggie option, try nutritional yeast, delicious!
- Loaded potato slices - top them up with crispy bacon, gravy, brown or thinly sliced green onions.
❤️Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to leave a rating and a comment below. Thank you!❤️
Sliced Air Fryer Potatoes
- 2 pounds larger Russet potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or more if needed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder for stronger flavor use 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- fresh thyme for serving
- black pepper to taste optional
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise about ¼ inches thick slices. Not very thin. With a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out potato hearts. I used 2-inch cookie heart. This step is optional and you can simply leave the round slices as they are.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and toss in seasonings. Add olive oil and combine. Spray the air fryer tray lightly with oil before adding the seasoned potato slices.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 F according to manufacturer instructions. (Mine was 375 F for 5 minutes) Cosori 5.8 quart. You could also use something like a Ninja Foodi air fryer.)
- Place the potatoes in the basket in single layer. Don't overcrowd the basket and cook in multiple batches. Air fry potatoes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-11 minutes, turning the potatoes halfway through. Potato slices should have a golden brown edges once done cooking.
- Serve as an appetizer with dipping sauces, as a side dish or for breakfast instead of hash browns.
🤷Frequently Asked Questions
It will depend on various factors such as thickness, type of potatoes, and air fryer itself. For medium thin slices (not chips), about 11 minutes.
For crispy potato slices, there are a couple of key factors to consider, the type of potatoes - not all potatoes are suitable and will be crispy; too low temperature of the air fryer and cooking time; or simply your slices are cut too thick. If you want extra crispy potatoes, you'll have to cut these thinner or air fry these twice. But I haven't tried this way yet!
For air fryer, there is no need to add lot of oil, that's why it is perfect for a healthy diet. However, you may get better results using more oil with potatoes or other veggies if cooked in air fryer (they are just more crisp this way).
I do preheat it as this way I can follow the recipe and know exactly how many minutes my potatoes should air fry. Same like oven, you need to preheat it.