Cucumber dill salad is a refreshing salad that you can quickly make at home to serve as a side at your next summer BBQ party.
- English cucumbers - fresh cucumbers, thinly sliced. You can use a good mandoline for this but not essential. Persian cucumbers, Japanese cucumbers, or Kirby cucumbers can be used instead of English.
- Vinegar - I prefer medium-sharp vinegar, such as apple cider vinegar (like Heinz). Reserve white vinegar for "cucumber in vinegar" and choose any mild to medium vinegar for the best flavor in this recipe.
- Dill - the combination of dill and green onions works perfectly here. This is the optimal amount that is not overpowering and most folks can eat.
- Mustard - Dijon mustard
For the full list of ingredients, please scroll down to where you'll find the recipe card.
🥣How To Make Cucumber Dill Salad
In a serving bowl combine cucumber slices, dill, and red onion.
Whisk dressing ingredients in a separate bowl or mason jar.
Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and gently mix. Enjoy!
For better flavors, let the salad rest in the fridge for 15-30 minutes before serving.
This salad pairs with an array of dishes, especially this cheddar bacon potato soup.
How Do You Keep Cucumber Crisp In Cucumber Salad?
''Sweat the cucumbers'' - Generously salt the sliced cucumbers and let them soak for 15-30 minutes (or even up to for one hour for slightly drier cucumbers). Then rinse a couple of times.
✅This step is optional, but does help to drain out the excess moisture from the cucumbers and keep your salad fresh and crunchy for longer (without becoming soggy too fast).
- Chill the ingredients - keep all the cucumber salad ingredients in the fridge except seasoning before use.
- Crunchy cucumbers - I do not necessarily "sweat’’ sliced cucumbers every time before using them in a salad. This is great if you plan to serve the salad later.
- To intensify the flavors in this simple salad, allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- You can also turn this into a creamy salad by using a simple dressing: 3 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, salt, and black pepper.
- 🍱To Store. In the fridge for longer than 2 days as the leftover salad will start to lose its crispy texture.
- 🔥To Reheat. To intensify the flavors in this cucumber salad, allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving, or store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
❤️Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to leave a rating and a comment below. Thank you!❤️
Cucumber Dill Salad With Refreshing Vinaigrette
Cucumber Dill Salad
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced (Persian, Kirby or Japanese Cucumbers)
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped or half circles
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
Sweet Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- A pinch of black pepper or to taste
- In a serving bowl combine cucumber slices, dill and red onion. Whisk dressing ingredients in a separate bowl or mason jar.
- Pour the dressing over cucumbers and gently mix. Enjoy!
- For better flavors, let the salad rest in the fridge for 15-30 minutes before serving.
- Optional step if you want the cucumbers to stay crunchy and fresh for longer: Sprinkle salt over the sliced cucumbers and gently massage into them. Let cucumbers soak in salt for 15 minutes in a large bowl or airtight container. Rinse with cold water at least 3-4 times to completely remove the salt. Strain and combine with rest of the ingredients.
- This salad is best enjoyed immediately at room temperature. Leftovers won’t keep well for long since the cucumbers will release more liquid as time goes on.
Side Salad Recipes
🤷Frequently Asked Questions
Cucumber skin, especially from English or Persian varieties, is a good source of fiber and nutrients. After washing (preferably organic), it can be eaten for added nutritional benefits.
For the freshest taste, wash and cut cucumbers just before eating. Whole cucumbers last a week or two in the fridge, while sliced ones keep for only a couple of days. Store unwashed whole cucumbers in the fridge for longer freshness.