This chicken barbecue pizza is loaded with shredded chicken in barbecue sauce, tomatoes, red onion and topped with cheese. It is ready in less than 20 minutes because instead of this hassle with rolling and baking the pizza dough you can simply use ready-made English muffins cut in half!
Delicious! A Great food idea for picky kids' parties.
In this post, you are going to learn how to make the easiest and FASTEST chicken barbecue pizza and if you actually need to cook the chicken first for the pizza.
Only little prep is required but the overall process is fast I promise!
Why We Love This
- English muffins as a chicken mini pizza base are the fastest and easiest way to prepare dinner, that even kids will eat.
- No hassle with kneading dough and waiting for it to rise, muffins are already pre-bought or pre-made at home if you have the dedication!
- Combination of melty cheese along with barbecue pulled chicken is simply irresistible.
- Reheat well and are good to enjoy cold as well!
Chicken - For this recipe, indeed we are going to use cooked chicken. Any leftover chicken is the easiest and fastest way to go here.
Either boiled, fried, or grilled, is best for a chicken pizza. Shred the chicken or dice into cubes, as you prefer.
Cheese - how to choose cheese for a chicken pizza? It's easy, I always use one from the following or a combo of two: Colby Jack cheese Mozzarella, Gouda, and Cheddar, or Triple Cheddar shredded cheese all will be perfect here. They are all good cheeses and melt well.
English muffins - these are a quick fix-no-hassle for a mini pizza! No need to prepare separate pizza dough or flatbread unless you want to make an English muffin from scratch yourself. English muffins are not only made for Eggs Benedict! Some substitutions include white sourdough bread, fluffy brioche buns, burger buns, flatbread.
Oregano - dried oregano is kind of a perfect herb to sprinkle over pizza but you shouldn't limit yourself and try Italian herbs mix seasoning, basil, tarragon, marjoram, cilantro for a change.
BBQ Sauce - use your favorite Barbecue sauce with flavors.
Red onion - there is nothing better than a crunchy onion in a BBchicken pizza! Raw red onion adds a pop of color to this vegan pasta salad, as well as a mild flavor. If you need a substitute, you could use yellow onion, although the onion flavor will be stronger.
Tomatoes - grape or cocktail tomatoes have more meat in them than cherry tomatoes and are great to serve in pizzas. Cocktail tomatoes are slightly larger, so you'll need to cut them into larger cubes. Any other larger tomato varieties such as beefsteak will also be a great option here.
- Kitchen Thermometer - One of the most essential things for cooking any meat, poultry or fish meal!
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowl
Prepare your chicken if using rotisserie from the store then it is easy otherwise you'll need to boil, fry, or grill it which won't take long at all.
The best way to find out if the chicken is cooked is to use a kitchen thermometer.
Check the chicken for doneness, it is ready once the internal temperature of the thickest point reaches 165F.
Next, mix chicken and barbecue sauce in a large bowl.
Arrange cut English muffins on a baking sheet and top with chicken, tomatoes, onions, and cheese. Put in the preheated oven to 425F and bake until cheese is melted (about 5-10 minutes).
Remove from oven and sprinkle each pizza with oregano, a drizzle of barbecue sauce and enjoy your chicken barbecue pizzas!
- Homemade BBQ Chicken pizza requires plenty PLENTY of cheese. Don't be shy and add at least two layers on each as one layer may turn out to bee very thin.
- The recipe is simple and doesn't require many ingredients, but if you feel so you can add a layer of pizza or pesto sauce to your mini chicken pizza.
- English muffins are thick enough to layer plenty of toppings but if not sure make one as a test and see how much it can hold up.
Serving Suggestions and Toppings
We love our barbecue chicken pizza but sometimes we feeling extra special and like to add extra ingredients or swap the existing ones with:
- italian sausage such as pepeproni, salami or other cured meat sausages
- pickled jalapenos or fresh!
- sliced green onions or shallots
- sweet canned corn
- garlic oil - fresh roasted garlic paste to spread on the pizza before ba Oh so good!king.
- fresh spinach
- blue cheese cubes or crumbled feta on top once the mini pizzas are baked
Chicken should be pre-cooked before adding to pizza. Either boiled, fried, or grilled, also any leftover chicken from yesterday's dinner will work. Use pulled, cubed, or buy a rotisserie chicken from the store.
It depends on your location as most of the American places are used to putting cheese underneath the toppings. The truth is, you can do both! Make a double cheese Barbecue Chicken pizza by adding a layer of cheese in the bottom and one on top after the toppings. Don't go overboard with it as it may become very soggy, especially with mini pizza.
Thank you for reading,
Easy Chicken Recipes
Easy Lunch Recipes
Did you make this Chicken Barbecue Pizza? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below. Thank you!
Chicken Barbecue Pizza
- ½ medium red onion diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 English muffins
- 2 ½ cup shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- 10 oz Colby jack cheese
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon Dried oregano and
- A handful of fresh parsley for garnish
- Mix chicken and barbecue sauce in a large bowl.
- Arrange cut English muffins on a baking tray and top with chicken, tomatoes, onions, and cheese. Put in the preheated oven to 425F and bake until cheese is melted (about 5-10 minutes).
- Remove from oven and sprinkle each pizza with oregano, a drizzle of barbecue sauce and enjoy!
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Cookrita on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram for all the latest updates!
Recipe inspired from here.
Easy and quick barbecue chicken pizza recipe!