Creamy and Thick Honey Mustard Sauce is simple to prepare in just a few minutes and best enjoyed in your favorite chicken dinner recipes.
Actually, it is so good you’ll want to use it on everything!
Why we love this
- Easy and fast - this honey mustard sauce comes together in a snap! How easy it is just to throw all the ingredients in a mason jar or a bowl, whisk and enjoy in your favorite recipes!
- Balanced flavors - all the flavors go perfectly together and in correct quantities. A little sharpness from the mustard, vinegar and sweetness of honey together create a perfect balance.
- Best enjoyed with fried foods like out Crispy Chicken Burgers or Salmon Patties. Or use as a delicious tangy spread for our Roast Beef Sandwiches.
- Mustard - I used Dijon mustard which tastes tangier and a little spicier than regular yellow mustard. If not sure, use your regular mustard or do 50/50.
- Spices - I like to add a little extra cayenne in my homemade honey mustard but start with the amount listed in the recipe and increase if you feel so. When you try the sauce without anything it may taste strong or to sweet but once you add it to your meat or sandwiches the flavors balance off perfectly.
- Honey - Depending on what dish I am preparing, I use 5 and sometimes 6 tablespoons of honey. Everyone’s preference is different and some may not like their honey mustard sweet at all. If it is your first time, I’d strongly recommend adding only 2-3 tablespoons of honey in the beginning, whisking all the ingredients well, and then decide if you need any more.
- Mayonnaise - low fat or regular mayonnaise. I always use vegan mayonnaise as it has less additives and tasted great!
- Vinegar - 5% or 6 % apple cider vinegar or other mild vinegar types are good here. In some store-bought honey mustard options, you can feel the vinegar flavor which is too harsh and reminds me more of a salad dressing rather than the sauce. But if you like it, double up!
- Lemon - squeezed fresh lemon juice, as an alternative you can try lime or fresh orange juice instead.
- Black pepper - plenty!
- This honey mustard recipe can be made with fewer ingredients (honey, mustard, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and paprika) but why settle for less? Go all in and you'll have the perfect honey mustard sauce!
The best tools to use for making honey mustard sauce are just two:
Mason jar or any other type of jar - combine, mix and store your sauce-covered at all times. For larger quantities, you'll need a bigger glass container or a bowl.
Whisk, a spoon, or a fork - if you’re not using a jar then it’s also very easy just to whisk all ingredients in a mixing bowl with a spoon or a fork.
Make the honey mustard sauce by combining all the ingredients in a mason jar. Close the lid and give it a good shake so all the flavor can blend nicely.
If you have time, transfer the honey mustard to the fridge for at least 15-30 minutes so the ingredients can combine perfectly.
Keep it in the fridge at all times before serving.
- Honey mustard is perfect to use as a chicken sauce, especially for our Crispy Chicken Sandwiches, to pour over grilled pork, turkey or chicken, hot dogs, chili cheese dogs, and many more. We also like to pour some leftover honey mustard over steamed rice. This honey mustard sauce tastes even better the next day!
- Add Frank’s red hot sauce or other similar hot sauce for a little spiciness kick!
- Aromatics such as cilantro, parsley, and chives are all great ways to mix things up and add freshness to the sauce. Use dried herbs as an alternative.
- As mentioned above, be cautious when adding honey, taste test, and add more or start with less, in the beginning, depending on your personal preferences. I like the sauce well balanced, not too sweet, and not too bitter or salty.
- Make a honey mustard dipping sauce - simply add a little more mayonnaise and even sour cream would work. Combined with mayo makes a perfect thick dip for chicken tenders, fried foods, veggies, cheeses, and many more. You may want to tweak the quantities until you reach the desired result.
So where to use homemade honey mustard sauce?
The best combo is with crispy chicken or any chicken dinner really! One of our favorites include:
- Chicken fingers - great to dip in honey mustard!
- Crispy Chicken Burgers, wraps, tortillas and etc
- Cheese and ham sandwiches and toasts.
- To marinate chicken or turkey in it.
- To top up poached eggs.
- Beef hash croquettes
- French fries or you could even make a Poutine with this honey mustard!
- Drizzle over baked salmon
- All your other favorite marinated and dipping recipes!
What else would you use this honey mustard sauce for? Leave a comment below!
Thank you for reading,
Easy Sauce Recipes
Did you make this Honey Mustard Sauce? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below. Thank you!
Honey Mustard Sauce
- ½ cup dijon mustard
- 5-6 tablespoons of honey OR add more/less depending on personal preference
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon white wine or apple cider vinegar
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a mason jar. Close the lid and give it a good shake to combine all the ingredients.
- If you have time, transfer to fridge for 15-30 minutes so the flavors can blend more.
- Keep it in the fridge at all times before serving.
Want more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Cookrita on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram for all the latest updates!
[…] Honey Mustard Sauce […]