Presenting you a delicious and budget-friendly cabbage cheese bake. A cabbage casserole that can be served as a side dish with any main course. It is similar to breakfast frittata or strata and is loaded with cheese, eggs, and plenty of cabbage.
If you have a couple of eggs, flour and cabbage you can make this casserole in just a few easy steps.
I am a huge fan of easy and cheap recipes, and cabbage is one of my favorite ingredients to make a meal. One of our family's favorites includes Cabbage Roll Soup, Bacon Cabbage Stir Fry and Spicy Fish Tacos made with crunchy coleslaw.
The ingredients used here are all your kitchen staples plus a couple of extras.
- Eggs - at room temperature for easy binding. Eggs in this recipe are what hold up the pie together.
- Yogurt and mayo - for low-fat version you can simply use only nonfat yogurt instead of mayo. The taste will be slightly different.
- Cabbage - regular green cabbage. If you have old green cabbage laying around in your kitchen, it's time to make a cabbage casserole. I don’t recommend purple/red cabbage as it will dye all your pie purple thanks to its bright color. The flavor is also different.
- All-purpose flour - for binding and texture.
- Mozzarella Cheese - melty cheese is great and mozzarella is the winner here. My next up are Mexican blend cheeses, cheddar, and gouda and I also like to add a couple of tablespoons of feta cheese crumbled for an extra salty savory flavor boost.
- For the full list of ingredients, please scroll down to where you'll find the recipe card.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8 or 9-inch round baking dish with butter or neutral cooking oil spray.
In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs, yogurt, and mayo and whisk until blended. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine together flour, black pepper, baking powder, and cornstarch. Whisk the flour mixture into the batter until smooth.
In another mixing bowl add cabbage and 1 teaspoon of salt. Massage the cabbage well to soften and release juices and for the cabbage to absorb the seasoning well.
Layer the cabbage evenly across the baking dish. Pour in the batter.
Sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese on top and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cabbage pie has set.
Remove from the oven and let set for 15 minutes before cutting into slices. Garnish with parsley.
Serve cabbage casserole with yogurt or sour cream for breakfast, as a side dish or a tasty quick snack.
- This cabbage casserole can also be dairy free - use vegan mayonnaise (it’s quite popular in Europe and the flavor is on par with the original, even better!), soy yogurt, or coconut yogurt. Any plant-based yogurt will do, just make sure it's thick as sour cream or creme fraiche. And yes, the flavor is slightly different, but if you are dairy free you already know that and are used to it. We make it with soy products too!
- It has great texture - Soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. This cabbage casserole flavor is mild but savory. Boost the overall taste with extra herbs, spices, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, tomatoes, or carrots. All are very welcome and make a great breakfast casserole.
- Favorite add-ons - for more bulk you can add ground sausage, ground meats, or poultry. Brown this in a skillet before mixing it in the cabbage pie batter. For more all-veggie versions - mushrooms and shredded carrot work well but things like spinach (fresh not frozen), green beans, broccoli, and peas would add even more nutrition.
- Slice the cabbage quite thin, just like you would for a coleslaw. We can't work with long strips either. Medium short and very thin slices are ideal for the pie to cook through and as a bonus it's easier to cut the pie into slices without it falling apart in seconds.
Freezing and Storing Instructions
Store this cabbage bake in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge. It tastes great both cold and warm but for reheating I like to use air fryer, oven, or microwave.
For freezing, yes you can freeze this right after baking for up to 2-3 months. Let thaw to room temperature before reheating.
Thank you so much for reading about this cabbage cheese bake. Please feel free to comment with any questions you may have! I love reading your feedback.
Easy Casserole Recipes
Try more recipes by scrolling through our Recipe Index.
Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to leave a rating and a comment below. Thank you!
Cabbage Cheese Bake
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain low fat greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise I used vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 pound cabbage about 6 cups thinly sliced
- 1 teapsoon salt or to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 ⅓ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- Butter for greasing the baking dish
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and grease an 8 or 9-inch round baking dish with butter or neutral cooking oil spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add 4 eggs, ¼ cup yogurt and ¼ cup mayo and whisk until blended. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine together ¼ cup flour, black pper,, ½ teaspoon baking powder and ½ teaspoon corn starch. Whisk flour mixture into batter until smooth.
- In another mixing bowl add cabbage and 1 teaspoon salt. Massage the cabbage well to soften and release juices and for the cabbage to absorb the seaosning well.
- Layer the cabbage evenly across the baking dish. Pour in the batter.
- Sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese on top and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cabbage pie has set.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 15 minutes before cutting into slices. Garnish with parsle yand serve with yogurt or sour cream.